Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hasta luego España.....Olá Portugal!

So this kinda sucks not being able to post pictures and it definitely makes this blog less interesting, but I guess I have to deal with it....hard to describe what's going on here though without really seeing it.

Kristian and Maja have a place that they own on the coast of southern Spain in Almerimar, very close to Almerìa. Last weekend we went down there for a couple days and it is absolutely great. Right next to the beach and on a clear day you are able to see the mountains in Africa! The only thing not great about it was the humidity...take 95-100 degrees and add in 85-90% humidity and it's just ridiculous. It was nice to be there for a couple of days though and enjoy it all. Kristian and Maja even took me out to a nice restaurant to celebrate their anniversary with them. They are absolutely some of the nicest hosts I've had while in Europe.

This past week we worked really hard on getting the infrastructure for the electricity installed. Right now we are on solar and generator power and Kristian and Maja finally got the papers for electricity after so many months and so we worked on building a house for the circuit breakers and also digging trenches for the cables and everything else that is needed. Hopefully they will have real electricity here in a week or two!

I've had a great time here in Spain though and I'm sad to go. What's interesting is that I'm starting to really not care about the main tourist attractions and big cities and instead I'm more focused on really living how people do out here and seeing what it's all about. I'm really only like an hour away from Granada here but I never got to see it because I was really having so much fun in the mountains. I'm sure I'll be back to Spain and to "Cortico Medico" to visit the mountain bike hotel when it's finished and I'll see the big cities, but for now it's really great to just take everything in like a local would.

Next up is southern Portugal where there is even less luxury. I'm staying with a woman west of Lagos in a national park very close to an unspoiled beach, definitely a change of pace from the mountains. She uses wind/solar power and rain water but everything seems to have been established for a few years and I think I'll be helping with smaller jobs around the place. Internet will be limited I'm sure so I'll post if I can, and hopefully some pictures this time!

Take care everyone, be home in a month!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt:

    Mailed your shoes today. They should get to Ireland in a week. I hope your trip to Portugal went well. It sounds like you really liked Spain. E-mail me from Portugal, okay?

    Really looking forward to seeing you in a month, Matt. We miss you!

    Love Ya,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete