Saturday, September 5, 2009

Back to the Stone Age

Alright here's the quick low down while we still have the sun up for power.

1) I'm here in Figueira, Portugal on the south coast inbetween Lagos and Sagres.
2) There is a secluded, untouched beach here in a national park just 5-10 minutes walk away with no hotels, not a whole lot of people, and it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
3) We're running on solar and wind power. I haven't asked (Susie doesn't like questions) but I don't think we're able to run more than a combined 100 watts at a time...think about it and you'll understand how little that is. The computer plugged in is about 60-65 watts. I think I'm back in the stone age.
4) Also have rain water here with gravity doing the work for pressure. Bottled water for drinking, but everything else is from stored rain. My shower is a camping bag that you put on the roof and it comes down on me. Also using the good old-fashioned compost loo.
5) Susie, my host, is an amazing cook, one of the best I've ever met. She knows so much about different foods that it blows me away. We eat only organic vegetarian and it's delicious.
6) Didn't know this before I came, but the south coast of Portugal/Spain is one of the windiest places on Earth as far as I can tell. There is a constant 20-30 MPH wind blowing all the time.

That's it for now, if I tried to post pictures the house might explode, so I'll wait until Ireland. Having fun here, hard to believe it's already been 3.5 months though.

No comments:

Post a Comment