Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Green, green, green.....and gray.

Alright so I've been in Ireland for about 5 days now and couldn't have asked for a better place to stay! My travels from Portugal started Tuesday the 15th with my sleeping in the Lagos bus station because my host wouldn't take me there in the morning at 6:15. It was too early for her despite her having nothing else to do that day so I slept in the cold at the bus station. Took the bus to Sevilla though, and then a train to Madrid. Camped out at the Madrid airport on Wednesday night and flew to Dublin Thursday morning. After a train to Cork and a bus to Skibbereen I finally made it!



My host here is Barbara and her 8 year-old son Reuben. Barbara runs Barbara's Cottages (www.barbarascottages.com), which she built herself over the last four years. Quite an accomplishment to do all on her own and the cottages are definitely well put together. Check out the website for pictures!







Barbara and Reuben are great though. Work here is pretty light and involves mostly a few hours in the morning and then helping Reuben with his homework after he gets home from school. So far here I've mowed the lawn, dug up some potatoes, strimmed the tall grass around the garden, and worked in the garden quite a bit just in general.



On Friday Barbara's nephews came over from Scotland for a couple nights and I hung out with them over the weekend. We went to a few pubs and a nightclub on Saturday night and each time I go out to Skibbereen I like it more and more. It's really a cool little town. I've met quite a few people here, definitely more in the first 2 days than I did my entire trip in Portugal.

Barbara's friend Joe took us fishing on Sunday, caught quite a few Mackerel and some nice, big Pollock. Had a great time though and got some amazing views while on the boat! I've been running quite a bit here too for the race and I've been getting to go some amazing places that I keep stumbling upon just by accident. The scenery out here is so fantastic with just endless green!





More to come later!

1 comment:

  1. Wow you have had a lot going on since the last time I checked in. I am jealous you are in Ireland! What a beautiful country! It looks like this last place is a great place to stay, especially with a kid! So fun! I can't remember for sure when you come back but I think its in October which means its coming up. I still don't have a job but interviews start in two weeks so we'll see how it goes. I'll keep you updated. Let me know when you'll be back. I can't wait to hear about the Loch Ness run!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete